Monday, July 23, 2007

Randy Couture: The Smartest

Sorry to whoever is readying out there in internet land, I've been gone the last two weeks. I apologize, but I'm back now and here's the new bit:

There are guys who can beat Randy Couture. I have a hard time seeing the current UFC heavyweight champion coming out on top of his upcoming title defense against the Brazillian behemoth of Gabriel Gonzaga.

Personally, I have Couture hanging around the #8 spot of modern MMA heavyweight fighters, but when it comes to knowledge of the sport, Randy Couture is the Alpha and the Omega. As far as I'm concerned, Randy Couture is the prophet of MMA.

There are alot of reasons you can find for Coutures intelligence: Division I education; world class wrestling pedigree and constant exposure to some of the best fighters in the world at Team Quest. He's the oldest title holder in the history of the sport (holding UFC Heavyweight hardware at 43), he has repeated his success in multiple weightclasses (Couture has held heavyweight gold 3 times and the lightheavyweight strap twice) and he has been a constant force in the sport, in and out of the cage, since the 90's, with every performance being a memorable one (everything from his victories over Tito Ortiz, Pedro Rizzo and his first win over Chuck Liddell to his losses to Liddell and Josh Barnett are well remembered by the hardcore fans).

Whateer the causes and the results, one thing remains:

Randy Couture is smart.

Whether he is knocking down a 6'8 striker with an overhand right, outboxing a legendary power-puncher or spanking a top groundnpounder, Couture is a force.

Will he beat Gonzaga?

Will he ever retire?

Will he ever fight a top PRIDE fighter?

I don't know, but I'll be watching.

No comments: