Friday, August 24, 2007

Tim Sylvia vs Brandon Vera

The UFC recently announced the next matchup for UFC 77, an event that is gaining some recognition, because it already has the rematch between UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and the man he took the belt from, Rich "Ace" Franklin. I have some specific thoughts about that fight, but since we're a few months out from that event, I think I'll wait a little while.

Everyone was worried that Vera (8-0-0) would leave the UFC over contract issues. His ego is already becoming well recognized (overshadowing his actual skill just a little bit). Vera, had he been fighting, might actually be in title contention, as he was probably a more well known fighter than current #1 contender Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga until Gonzaga fought and knocked out Mirko "CroCop" Filipovic at UFC 70. (Gonzaga fights Couture for the heavyweight strap tomorrow)

Alot of people believe that Sylvia (23-3-0) is washed up, that his last few fights have been unimpressive (they have) and that his career, or at least his reign as one of the great heavyweight strikers, is over.

I don't like either of these guys, and so I can't say that I'm rooting for anyone in this fight. Vera has a big mouth, and Sylvia isn't exactly the most respectful guy in the bunch.

However, I think that there's one major difference: Sylvia has fought and beaten top tier competition. He's done it many times. He beat Andrei Arlovski twice, he has a victory over Pedro Rizzo.

I'll give the in depth dimensions of the fight when we are leading up to the card, but I think that Sylvia, as much of an ogre (he has to cut to make the UFC's 265 pound weight limit) as he might be, he is a technical striker worth noting (watch his highlight reel KO's of Arlovski, Tra Telligman and Wesley "Cabbage" Correira if you want to see what I mean) with an enormous size advantage (he's 6'8 and 270+ in the cage to Vera's 6'2, 220), along with his experience will be too much for Vera.

I think Vera will be a great fighter in the future. He's got great Muay Thai skills and a good submission game, but Sylvia is a veteran, a warrior and a great striker and I expect Vera's notable undefeated streak to end at UFC 77.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kind of kills the whoe article when you site the wrong show throughout the artcle. This fight is at UFC 77.