Monday, March 31, 2008

My Thoughts on Cung Le vs. Frank Shamrock

Now, I said that this fight was going to be more interesting than Frank Shamrock getting a takedown. I said that Cung Le was a better wrestler than everyone seemed to think. I said that Cung Le would win the standup game if he could keep the fight standing.

Even I won't pretend that I expected Le to devastate Shamrock the way that he did. I didn't expect him to snap Frank's arm in half. But, now that he did, and the fact that he did it to the King of Pancrase and the great Frank Shamrock, I think that Le has basically solidified his position as a top 185 pound fighter.

Personally, he'll be well into my top seven, and I think that, if he decimates a few more quality opponents (say, Robbie Lawler and Phil Baroni), then he should call out Anderson Silva, and I think that that's the toughest matchup for Silva right now.

Anderson wants someone he can strike with, and who can strike with him. Le will make that fight stay standing. He will use his San Shou takedown skill to keep the fight standing (and I don't think that Silva's wrestling is good enough to really resist, and I doubt he would want to), and he will make it a kickboxing match to remember.

This is a fight I want to see because I want to see if Anderson's kickboxing is as good as everyone thinks it is (and I include myself in that everyone). Silva never really established himself as a top kickboxer in the world, and the prospect of him fighting a guy who has makes my mouth a little watery.

The Shamrock fight was a great showcase for Cung Le and I wish him the best of luck, since he's a great guy. I hope he continues to dominate Strikeforce, but I would like to see him push for some serious competition, as the current field of competitors doesn't do much for me.

No comments: