Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Prospect of Barnett vs. Gracie

I'm already excited just thinking about it. The fact is, if you put the greatest heavyweight submission grappler in with one of the greatest MMA fighters in the world, something incredible is bound to happen, and the prospect of Roger Gracie and Josh Barnett bring that to World Victory Road is intriguing.

I'll get into the specifics of the matchup if it is officially announced, but I should say only now that I think that this would be a technical fight even more than Barnett's fight with Yoshida, and Barnett's power would be tested by an opponent almost as strong as he is, with technique that goes even beyond Nogueira's. It's a test of transitioning to MMA for Gracie and a test of the skills Barnett has used for a long time. This fight seems, at least to me, incredibly promising.

No comments: