Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pramit Mohapatra Interviews Mark Cuban

Fightticker's Pramit Mohapatra sat down with Mark Cuban and threw some questions at the millionaire behind HD Net. There has been alot of speculation about what, exactly, the purpose of HD Net is going to be, about whether it is going to serve as a line for Dream and World Victory Road into the American scene, or whether it is going to coagulate alot of the free agent fighters starting to crop up (both Fedor Emelianenko and Randy Couture have been mentioned by name).

My thoughts on the Cuban interview are a little bit direct, but I will say that I'm glad Cuban took questions and the first thing that struck me was his compliment of Fedor Emelianenko. While that may have been a diplomatic move, throwing a little flattery at the guy he's trying to sign, but it seemed genuine to me, and the fact is (while I consider the comparison to Charles Barkley to be a little inadequate) he gives recognition where recognition is due. That's good to see, especially from someone as typically egnimatic as Cuban has been known to be.

Cuban says openly that he's working on nailing out an agreement with Kurt Angle and Randy Couture to get a fight put together, and while I think that the fight would be an utter embarrasment if it happens, I can't say that I'm surprised Cuban wants to put the fight together. I mean, people would pay money to see this fight, and if Cuban puts together fights people want to see, he'll establish himself as a force very, very quickly.

I do like that Cuban says that cards should be offered free, with the exception of a handful of pay-per-view events. I do agree that the UFC expecting people to pay $40 for a crappy card is ridiculous, but I also think that Cuban expecting to have a monopoly on the outlet puts him in as much trouble with anti-trust regulations as the UFC is. Still, I think that it's important to recognize that since Elite XC is coming through CBS and IFL is available on other outlets, he's not going to have a serious monopoly.

Now, I only have one sticking point with Cuban's interview. I just want to make a short note before I start on the issue I disagree with Cuban on. The fact that Cuban can't comment on the ongoing trial with the UFC over the fate of Randy Couture. Obviously, Cuban is the one that brought the suit, but I think it's important to recognize that the suit is ongoing and Cuban has the good sense not to comment on it.

My problem with the Cuban interview is his assertion about the "Inside MMA" rankings as the guide to who is really the top of MMA. There is no associated press in MMA, there is no coagulate rankings. The fact that MMA rankings are subjective and are intricated is what makes them interesting. I can't say that I agree with the prospect of using one source as a way of structuring his divisions. It's ridiculous.

Establishing a ladder is a single organization job, and the thought of giving a single media outlet control of structuring that ladder subjects it to the bias of the guys at "Inside MMA." While they're smart guys, I don't think that we should give them the freedom to establish the ladders on their own.

Belts are a system that allows for extra publicity and a sense of dominance within an organization and a set of rules, and the ladder is a system of seniority. While I don't think that the system is perfect, I think that suggesting handing all of that over to a single magazine is not an improvement.

No comments: